Sunday, September 16, 2007

Paupau Beach - 9/15/07


What was supposed to be a snorkeling adventure at Paupau Beach for me turned out to be an obeservation of the watershed pipes and the effects it would have on our marine environment. This is only because I forgot to bring my contact lenses. Lesson learned for me, "carry contact lenses at all times!"


It was unfortunate that I did not witness the amount of water that flows out of the huge pipes built on the shore of Paupau Beach. Although I did not see any action of water flow at the time, I could imagine just form the size of those pipes, that tons of water drains out from there and straight into our ocean. The water that has been flowing out of the pipes for many months now left a trail about 6 feet wide that leads down the beach. I followed the trail down and found branches as well as coconuts soaked and so old they had algae growing on them. Algae also grew on the rocks that were laying around on the trail.

No comments: